Info for Consumers

This page contains important information for consumers to help them manage their PCA program. Consumer set up forms, links to the Mass PCA Directory, and PCA Homecare Quality Workforce Council can all be found here. Please download the form or use the link to the information you are looking for.

Starting October 1, 2020, an additional 1-hour infection control training has been added to the PCA Orientation program. This now makes the PCA orientation a 4-hour program. Any PCA completing the orientation on or after October 1, 2020 will need to complete this infection control training. For additional information on this change to the orientation, please see this flyer created by MassHealth.

Consumer Forms

Below you will find the forms you need to complete and return to us to begin your participation in the FI program - and to make sure your PCAs get paid for the work that they do

Consumer Information Form

This form lets us know who you are and which Provider Agency you work with, and provides us with important information to get you started in our F.I. Program.

Consumer Agreement

Every consumer must sign a Consumer Agreement, this will allow us to act as your Fiscal Employer Agent. This also indicates that you understand what your obligations are as a PCA Consumer.

Consent to Use Payroll Processing Agent

Stavros F.I. contracts with PAI Services to process payroll for your PCAs: your PCAs' checks are printed there. Your signature means you are acknowledging that you are aware of this. This form must be signed by you!

Department of Industrial Accidents Notice to Employees

As an employer in Massachusetts you need to post this Notice where your PCAs can see it. In the event that one of your PCAs injured while working for you the name and telephone number of your Workers' Compensation Insurance company are on this form. Please fill in your name and address before posting.

Stavros Center for Independent Living Grievance Procedures

If you are not happy with the services you are receiving use the steps as outlined in this document to file an official complaint.

Stavros Center for Independent Living Notice of Privacy Practices

This notice explains how we handle your confidential records at Stavros.

Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization

This authorizes Stavros F.1. to inspect and receive tax information for the payroll taxes and forms indicated on line 3(a) and 3(b). The Form 8821 is renewable and will need to be updated every 3 years.

Form SS-4, Application for Employer Indentification Number (EIN)

MassHealth regulations state that each consumer will be an employer and must obtain an EIN to report their PCA's withholding taxes to the Internal Revenue Service. This form must be completed by you, the consumer, and your name should appear exactly as it does on your Social Security card.

Form 2678, Employer/Payer Appointment Agent

This form allows Stavros to file the appropriate reports for your PCA's payroll with the Internal Revenue Service. This form must be completed by you - the consumer - and your name should appear exactly as it does on your Social Security card.

Form M-2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Massachusetts DOR)

This form allows the Stavros to represent you with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR - the people who collect state taxes) in case there is ever an issue with your Mass DOR account. This form must be completed by you - the consumer - and your name should appear exactly as it does on your Social Security Card.

Paid Family Medical Leave Act (PFMLA) Notice

This notice provides information for the consumer about PFMLA. For information on how to apply for these benefits; please see the notice below.

Paid Family Medical Leave Act Notice January 2021

Termination Form

Please submit this form when a PCA is terminated. This form also serves as the Paid Time Off (PTO) pay out form. PCAs can only be paid out for their PTO if they are no longer working for any consumer in the MassHealth PCA program.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that isn’t answered, visit our FAQ page or Contact us by email and we will provide help.

What is PCA Orientation?

PCAs who have never worked in the MassHealth PCA program are required to complete the 4-hour PCA orientation program. Starting October 1, 2020, a 1-hour infection control training has been added. Orientation can be done by consumers or in a group setting. Consumers who hire PCAs that require orientation will be sent a letter by Stavros Fiscal upon set up. 

The consumer has the option of doing the orientation themselves, online. However, they have three months from the initial notice to complete the orientation with their PCA. After three months, a PCA must attend a group session with the Homecare Training Benefit. PCAs still must complete the 1-hour infection control training even when doing the orientation with their consumer to fulfill the orientation requirements and receive pay for completing it. PCAs should contact the Homecare Training Benefit after completing the 3-hour consumer portion of the orientation to sign up for the 1-hour infection control training. The phone number for the Homecare Training Benefit is 1-877-409-8283.

A consumer must return the Consumer Options Notice to Stavros Fiscal to preform the orientation with their PCA online. The consumer and PCA will not have access to the online orientation until the Consumer Options Notice is returned and processed by us.

Online Orientation

You can access the online orientation program here. Instructions for accessing the online orientation program can be found here.

Instructions for accessing the online orientation program can be found by clicking the link below:

Group Orientation

A Consumer can also send their PCA to a group orientation presented by the Homecare Training Benefit. Please call 1-877-409-8283 to schedule an orientation session.

Only surrogates who are the parent of a consumer under the age of 18 can provide the orientation to a PCA on behalf of their consumer. Otherwise, surrogates cannot provide the orientation. PCAs who fail to complete the orientation program within nine months of their date of hire will be subject a $1.00 per hour post tax payroll deduction.

My check was mailed out, but I haven't received it…what should I do now?

Please give us a call on Monday. If we are able to verify that you have been paid - and that shouldn't be a problem if we've gotten your timesheets on time - you may request that we put a stop payment on the check(s). We will issue new checks after five business days - sorry, but we can't make exceptions.

What do I do if I receive the check I placed a stop payment on previously?

Your PCAs won't be able to cash these checks, so please write VOID across the check and mail it back to our office as soon as you can.

Why didn't I get paid for all the hours submitted on my timesheet?

The answers to this question could vary. So we recommend that you call our Customer Service Department.

Did you receive my new approval?

You should be receiving notification from MassHealth in regards to your approved hours and dates of service. You should also be receiving a letter from the PCM (Provider Care Management) agency. We do not send any letters from the FI office.

Why doesn't a PCA get paid when a consumer is in the hospital or long term care facility?

This is a regulation set by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There are no exceptions.

Can I have copies of my payroll registers?

You can request copies of payroll registers by calling our Customer Service Department.

When are your fax machines on?

All the time. Just be sure to fax them to one of the fax numbers listed on the timesheets.

What is earned Paid Time Off (PTO)?

PCAs earn 1 hour of paid time off (PTO) for every 30 hours worked. For more information, please refer to the PTO terms (click the link below) created by MassHealth for rules and regulations regarding earned PTO.

PCAs can view their earned PTO online here.

Instructions for using the PTO portal in English and Spanish are available by clicking the link below:

What is the 1199 SEIU Union?

PCAs are represented by the 1199SEIU in Massachusetts. Benefits for being a union member can be found on the Home Care Training Benefit website. Interested PCAs can sign up and become union members. There are several ways to get an application:

1199SEIU Union Membership Application

Sign up for the union online

Request an application from our Customer Service Department

How do I access my paystubs online?

PCA paystubs are now available online.

First time users will need to follow the first time login procedures. A brief User Guide has been created to help a PCA login and navigate the portal.

The User Guide can be downloaded in both English and Spanish versions by clicking the link below.

What do I do if I have some ideas that might be helpful for your program?

We always welcome new ideas that will help us better serve you. Please let our Customer Service Department know about your ideas via email.

What are your business hours?

We have the Customer Service Department available to answer your calls 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Monday through Friday.

When should I expect to receive my payroll checks?

If we get your timesheets before noon on Tuesday and it is properly filled out, you can expect to receive your check(s) by Friday.

How many hours do I have left on my approval for regular hours and for holidays?

If you would like to learn the unused balance of your regular or holiday hours, please contact our Customer Service Department.

Why did I get a letter from the Fiscal Intermediary saying I was overusing my hours?

We send you letters notifying of overuse in order to make sure you do not run out of hours toward the end of your approval. If you have any questions about our findings, please contact our Customer Service Department.

Can you explain the overuse letter to me?

We calculate the overuse hours on the last two timesheets you submit covering four weeks. During this period, if your use exceeds four times your weekly allowable hours indicated on your approval, then we send an overuse letter. If we see the overuse continue over three pay periods, then we request skills training from the PCM you are affiliated with. If we see continued overuse, then we must report it to MassHealth. MassHealth may then "cap" your hours, meaning that we can't pay you for more than your weekly approved hours.